What Bainbridge Island school building suffered major fire damage in 1976?
At 2 am on May 26, 1976, the “old building”, a 3-story 1928 Bainbridge Island High School building, burned to the ground.
What aviation hero has a Bainbridge Island connection?
Charles Lindbergh’s son Jon lived on Little Manzanita Bay, where he and his wife Barbara raised five children.
Where is the enormous stump of the big fir tree named “Bill Taft” located?
On the Fairy Dell trail near the northwest corner of Battle Point Park. Originally the tree was 30 feet in circumference and 200 feet tall.
What is the French villa, Collinswood, built on Bainbridge in 1932, known as today?
The Bloedel Reserve.
What were these specs for? “… suitable conveyance equipped with comfortable seats, top and side curtains to be used during stormy or inclement weather….”
The Island’s first school bus, which began service in 1913.
Where was a giant mammoth tooth discovered?
Protruding out of a steep bank facing the beach about a mile south of Point Monroe. It is in drawer “Z” at the BI Historical Museum.
How did Battle Point get its name?
As a result of a battle waged between the Suquamish and a Canadian Indian tribe.
What Bainbridge Islander was a U of W rower from the famed book Boys in the Boat, who won the 1936 gold medal in rowing in Berlin?
Jim “Stub” McMillin.
In 1918 there were ten post offices on Bainbridge Island. Where were they?
Creosote, Crystal Springs, Fletcher Bay, Fort Ward, Manzanita, Port Blakely, Port Madison, Rolling Bay, Seabold and Winslow.
What island site once harbored an anarchist bomber, posing as a barber, who was wanted for a Los Angeles Times bombing?
The Rolling Bay Post Office was once the location of a barber shop, run by fugitive David Caplan (aka Fritz Moller). He was arrested, convicted and served 6 years in San Quentin. He sold the property to Lucas Rodal.
How tall was the radio tower at Battle Point used by the Navy to send messages to the Pacific Fleet?
Eight hundred feet. Taller than the Space Needle (but shorter than the Eiffel Tower).
What island pioneer was considered Chief Seattle’s friend, and asked to visit the chief before he was buried?
George Meigs, who in 1854 purchased a lumber mill in Port Madison, later founding the community.
There are two pilings just offshore at Crystal Springs that have wooden facings in the shape of big white triangles. What is their historical significance?
They were range finders installed by the Naval Torpedo Station in Keyport. Port Orchard Bay was an established torpedo test range from the 1930’s to the late 1950’s. Torpedoes were fired from Keyport, and were programmed to run a certain distance, then circle and stop, where they were picked up by a Navy launch.
At the start of World War II, two sets of submarine nets were stretched from the island to the mainland. Where were they?
Fort Ward, at Bean Point, to Manchester, and at Agate Passage near where the bridge is now.