Director of Exhibits and Engagement
The Bainbridge Historical Museum is searching for a new Director of Exhibits and Engagement to help shape the museum’s future by identifying priorities, developing strategy and policies, and implementing operational and programming changes to fulfill the mission and increase the museum’s value to the community.
The successful candidate will bring vision, strategy, a focus on the audiences, practical management skills, and the ability to connect and inspire all stakeholders. The position reports to the Executive Director. Direct reports include the Education & Outreach Manager and the Collections Coordinator.
- Convene key colleagues/stakeholders in BI Community to identify changes and opportunities
- Collaborate with BIHM staff to evaluate and reimagine learning philosophies, initiatives, tours, and programs
- Build relationships and community partnerships
- Lead systematic changes necessary to bring BIHM up to regional and national museum standards for exhibition design, museum learning, and collections management and preservation
- Assist with long-term planning for building expansion and exhibitions
- Present to the Board of Directors as needed
- Represent the Museum at meetings, conferences, and other events
- Lead planning and budgeting for all exhibits
- Develop standard processes for exhibition development
- Collaborate with community members to determine content
- Employ a range of interpretive strategies and assess their effectiveness
- Manage the selection, acquisition, and use of digital assets
Visitor Experience/Audience Engagement
- Create, implement, and analyze visitor studies to gather data about exhibits
- Design, conduct, supervise and analyze multiple visitor studies as needed
- Redefine and formalize collections processes to increase efficiency and consistency
- Establish BIHM collecting goals for the next 5 years to fill holes and plan for other future exhibits and projects.
- Prepare estimated budgets for all 2024 expenses related to collection management
- Inventory, organize, and purchase materials needed to care for the collection
- Lead Collections Committee
- Five years as a curator in a museum setting operating under AMA best practices
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in museum operations
- Ability and desire to work with a diverse range of people
- Demonstrated the ability to work in a cooperative collaborative environment
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
Salary Range: 60,000-68,000/year
Benefits: paid vacation and sick leave; flexible schedule; WA State Department of transportation passes provided if necessary
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
BIHM is an equal opportunity employer. BIHM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, citizenship, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, family care status, sex (which includes sexual harassment, gender harassment, gender identity, and harassment based on pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions) or any other basis protected by applicable law.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and letter of interest to [email protected] by January 16, 2023.
To download a pdf version of this page, click here.