The Salish name for the bay near the middle of western Bainbridge Island is xlelkap (bitten into.) The Salish came to the bay to camp and have pow-wows on the spit. The skeleton of a building used by the Native Americans remained on the spit for many years, even after a dock was built there in 1912. Fletcher Bay was named after William C. Fletcher who entered a land claim there on July 17 1869. He was a contract logger for the mills at Port Madison and Port Blakely.