Below are questions and answers to the 2015 Bainbridge Island History Quiz*

Q1: Who was the notorious Old West outlaw who rode with the Hole in the Wall gang and held a family hostage for several days on Bainbridge Island?
Answer: In 1902, Harry Tracy (1877-1902), a former member of Butch Cassidy’s Hole-in-the-Wall gang, made prisoners of the Johnson family for several days before escaping to the mainland. Read about Tracy’s exploits on Bainbridge Island here. The story was dramatized at BPA in 2008. You can read more about Harry Tracy and his final gun battle on page 55 of this text.
Q2: What was the purpose of the tall netted Native American poles that George Vancouver saw along the shore of Bainbridge Island?
Answer: The Native Americans hung nets from poles to catch flying ducks and geese at night.
Q3: How did the name for Agate Passage come about?
Answer: During the United States Exploring Expedition (1838-1842), commonly known as the Wilkes Expedition, Lieutenant Charles Wilkes explored the west coast of the United States, including Puget Sound in 1841. He named the passage for his gifted artist and cartographer, Alfred T. Agate.
Q4: Where was the great American Blue Fox farm?
Answer: The “Great American Blue Fox” farm, owned and operated by Z. Peck and S.V.B Miller, was located on Manzanita Bay around 1924. It was the largest pen-raised blue fox farm in the Pacific Northwest. Read about this and more concerning the Manzanita Bay area here.
Q5: Who were the Mercer Girls?
Answer: In 1864, Asa Mercer, the first president of the University of Washington, brought the first eleven young women from New England to Seattle, which was in need of both teachers and young, marriageable women. In 1866 he brought a second group. Read more about it here.
Q6: What Island school was named for one of the original “Mercer Girls”?
Answer: Ordway School is named for Lizzie Ordway, one of the original “Mercer Girls.” She devoted her life to teaching, and was elected Superintendent of Schools, becoming the first female elected to Kitsap County office.
Q7: What does the name “Port Blakely Toothpicks” refer to?
Answer: The Port Blakely Mill had a reputation of producing bigger and longer Douglas fir beams than any mill in the world, which the workmen jokingly referred to as “toothpicks.” You can see one 26 X 34 inches and 92 feet long, in the Welcome Center at IslandWood.
Q8: Where was the first theatre on the Island?
Answer: The Moran Junior College was established in 1914 by Frank Moran on the point at Manitou Park, between Manitou Beach and modern day Rolling Bay. In 1918 it expanded into three stucco buildings, two of which now are on the site of the Messenger House Care Center. One of them contained dormitories, a library, science labs, and a theater.
Q9: What famous and powerful U.S. Senator had a summer place on the tip of Wing Point?
Answer: Senator Warren G. Magnuson owned the home at the tip of Wing Point with sweeping views of Puget Sound from Mount Baker to Mount Rainier.
Q10: Who built the old wood stadium that was at the high school for 6 decades?
Answer: During the 1947 and 1948 school years, Bainbridge High School students in Mr. Morley’s Trades Class built the stadium as a memorial to fallen American soldiers.
Q11: What well-known basketball shot did Bainbridge’s star athlete, Ed Loverich, memorialize?
Answer: According to Leo Lassen, Seattle’s leading radio sports announcer during the 1930s-1950s, famed Washington basketball coach Clarence “Hec” Edmundson, credits Ed Loverich with “revolutionizing basketball shooting with his one-handed push shots….” There were other one-handed shots, such as the hook shot, but most shots were set shots using both hands. Loverich was already experimenting with his new style of shooting when he came to Washington from Bainbridge Island High School and made the varsity squad in his sophomore year. In 1936, when Loverich was a junior, Washington defeated the west’s best college teams and earned the right to represent the western colleges at the first-ever US Olympic Trials for basketball in Madison Square Garden. This was the first time the eastern press had seen Loverich and his one-handed pusher. Washington finished first among the collegiate teams and placed one man (Ralph Bishop) and three alternates (Loverich, Bob Egge and Chuck Wagner) on the Olympic team. Meanwhile, Stanford’s sophomore sensation, Hank Luisetti, was shooting a modified two-handed style that year but had undoubtedly taken note of Loverich’s one-handed shooting as Washington defeated Stanford. The 1936 Olympic basketball trials were poorly attended, so Loverich’s shooting style got little notice. But the next season Stanford was the Pacific Coast Conference champion and was playing Long Island University in Madison Square Garden on December 30, 1936, before over 17,000 fans. By this time Luisetti had perfected his one-handed jump shot and his team defeated LIU, ending a 43 game winning streak. As a result Luisetti is often given major credit for popularizing the one-handed shot. But truth be told, Bainbridge’s own Ed Loverich should be credited with being the first person using it with acclaimed success. After WWII, Ed went on to open Town and Country Thriftway in Winslow with his friend, Mo Nakata, and Mo’s brother John Nakata.
Q12: What and where was the Snack Shack?
Answer: The Snack Shack was a summer concession stand on the sand spit adjacent to Fay Bainbridge State Park (now known as Fay Bainbridge Park).
Q13: What is the oldest continuously operating business on the Island?
Answer: The Bainbridge Review, which was established in 1923.
Q14: What was the place called “Island Paradise”?
Answer: On August 1, 1954 a nudist camp held its opening day. The camp, known as Camp Island Paradise, was located on forty acre tract along the beach in the vicinity of Murden Cove. By 1955 the camp was out of business.



Below are questions and answers to the 2014 Bainbridge Island History Quiz*

Q1: What was the “Bloody Bucket?”
Answer: It was the nickname for Mac’s Tavern, known for the sometimes raucous behavior of patrons and the periscope over the men’s urinal providing a view of the harbor. It is currently the site of Doc’s Marina Grill.
Q2: Where was the first bowling alley?
Answer: In the early 1900’s there was a small resort at Pleasant Beach south of Lynwood Center, called Burchillville, owned by George Burchill. It included a saloon, a dance hall and a three lane bowling alley. Island Fitness, an island health club, was also previously a bowling alley.
Q3: What was the amount of the toll to cross the Agate Passage Bridge?
Answer: The fare was $.35 per car and $.05 per passenger.
Q4: Where on the island were the buildings from the 1962 World’s Fair located?
Answer: They were purchased from the 1962 World’s Fair and were moved to what is now the Island Village Shopping Center on High School Road.
Q5: Who owned the first car on Bainbridge Island?
Dr. Frank Shepard. It was a 1912 Model T and the ferry charged him $6.50 to bring it to the island.
Q6 Who/what were the “Flodin (pronounced Flodeen) Chicks?”
Answer: They were a women’s softball team sponsored by Flodin Supply, the farm store now known as Bay Hay & Feed.
Q7: What is and where was the “natatorium” located on the island?
Answer: A natatorium is an indoor swimming pool. Malcolm McDonald acquired Burchillville from George Burchill and put in a natatorium.
Q8: Who owned the pink Volkswagen with the ears and tail?
Answer: Frank & Joann Burlingame drove a pink VW with ears and a tail around town to advertise their shop, the “Country Mouse”.
Q9: What was the name of the first drive-in restaurant on Bainbridge Island?
Answer: The Cat ‘N Fiddle, which was located in the Village Shopping Center on High School Road in the late fifties and sixties, operated as a drive-in for a time. It even had a hitching post for customers on horseback. In the sixties, Crazy Eric’s was on High School Road approximately where the entrance to Ace Hardware and McDonald’s is now. Later, in the seventies, another drive-in, called the Kel-Lin Drive-In, was located on High School Road at the western edge of the Island Village Shopping Center property next to the public library. It was owned by the Prentices and named for their two daughters, Kelly and Lindsey.
Q10: How did Toe Jam Hill get its name?
Answer: The hill’s first resident was named Torjam, a very popular, well-liked individual. Folks would say “Let’s go to Torjam’s Hill.”
Q11: Where on the island was the “Coney Island of Puget Sound”?
Answer: The Pleasant Beach Hotel, also owned by Malcolm McDonald, was in the vicinity of Fort Ward. It had room for 40 guests, a five-piece band played that throughout the summer season, and a boardwalk connected the resort to Port Blakely.
Q12: In the 1920s, a mosquito fleet steamboat brought passengers to camp out and dance at a favorite island resort. What was its name?
Answer: Foster’s Resort at Fletcher’s Bay. The steamer Norwood would drop passengers from Brownsville across Port Orchard Bay.
Q13: What school on the island was the recipient of a 136-foot minesweeper?
Answer: The Puget Sound Naval Academy began operations at the site of the old Moran School (now the Messenger House Care Center) in 1936. It was a school for boys designed to prepare them for entry into the U.S. Naval Academy or the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. After the war, it received the mine sweeper and two amphibious trucks from the Navy.



*The Bainbridge Island History Quiz originated in 2014 as a series of quiz questions in the ferry terminal ramp to interest islanders in island history and entertain them while waiting for the ferry. A new 2015 quiz was put up in March, 2015.