Executive Director Opening
The Bainbridge Island Historical Society and Museum is an independent nonprofit organization serving more than 14,000 visitors annually. The museum is one of the island’s most respected institutions, serving its residents and guests for more than eighty years. We offer new exhibits frequently and feature informative speakers, area tours and historical research assistance on a variety of topics. The museum is open daily with a staff of four and more than 50 active volunteers.
The Bainbridge Island Historical Museum is seeking a qualified candidate for Executive Director. The successful candidate will bring leadership experience in public outreach, team building, fundraising, grant writing, marketing, personnel and financial management, and operations. An ability to work collaboratively with donors, community leaders, a board of directors, staff and volunteers is essential. The Executive Director, working with the Board of Directors, is a strong and dynamic leader who understands, supports and promotes the mission of the organization, its financial plans and programs. The Executive Director is expected to actively participate in board and executive committee meetings, exhibit openings, and fundraising and public relations activities. This person acts as the primary spokesperson for the museum, creating partnerships, supporting fundraising campaigns and promoting the museum as a community asset.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, museum studies, history, humanities, or relevant field
- 3 years management experience working with human resources and nonprofit finance, including grants and fundraising
- Proven history of success in a leadership position responsible for overseeing the operations of a nonprofit organization and a facility while maintaining solid relationships with staff, board, donors and community.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership skills
- Extensive experience in public speaking and public relations
- Understanding of nonprofit accounting and budgeting
- Knowledge of social medias utility in achieving organizational goals
- Uses creativity in addressing problems and issues
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Any museum management experience
- Knowledge of museum-related software
- Familiarity with the community and local history
- Experience in facilities management
Salary negotiable, depending on experience
Estimated start date: April 1, 2018
For a complete job description, click here.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 16, 2018.