EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – BAINBRIDGE ISLAND HISTORICAL MUSEUM
Provides leadership in the management of the Bainbridge Island Historical Museum. Directs and participates in fundraising, marketing, development of strategic vision, collection development, general management, financial management, and fostering staff/volunteer/board/city relations of the Museum.
Under the general supervision and direction of the Museum Board of Directors; supervises Museum staff directly.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
The following list is illustrative and is not intended to describe every function that may be performed by this job. The omission of specific statements does not preclude the Board of Directors from assigning specific duties not listed, if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
- Cultivates relationships with major stakeholders for the purposes of fundraising, including major gifts, for special projects, operations and development of the Museum collection.
- Plans, coordinates and directs the operation of the Museum, which includes carrying out the policies and programs as determined by the Museum Board of Directors; oversees Museum operations, including the collection, exhibits, maintenance, and educational outreach; consults and advises on objects brought to the Museum for analysis; and researches possible Museum purchases.
- Utilizes traditional print, social and other media forms to bring visitors to the Museum and foster Museum growth.
- Collaborates with community partners to enhance the Museum in the community; develops relationships with community organizations and staff to communicate the Museum’s mission.
- Oversees the Museum budget, including planning, preparation, monitoring and administering; recommends opportunities to grow and develop new revenue streams for the Museum.
- Performs a variety of public relations activities; coordinates communication, both internal and external, concerning all aspects of the Museum; works closely with support groups including the Historic Preservation Commission of the City of Bainbridge Island; works with City administration and other governmental and non-governmental agencies; encourages and works with potential donors; and works with others in the community to increase citizens’ appreciation of the Museum, often by giving talks to various citizen groups.
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of all assigned personnel; conducts the selection of new employees; makes recommendations to the Board of Directors as assigned; demonstrates effective staff development and organizational skills in areas such as hiring, coaching, collaboration, problem-solving and goal-setting.
- Meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve priorities, workload and technical issues.
- Ensures the operations and administration of the Museum are in compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Serves as principal advisor to the Museum Board of Directors.
- Assists in the selection, evaluation and orientation of new Board members.
- Attends to other duties as assigned.
- Attends conferences, seminars, workshops and other training for professional development purposes.
- Attends Board and Executive Committee meetings as Executive Director of the Museum.
- Understands the role of technology in information exchange and works to ensure that the Museum employs current and innovative methods needed to reach multiple demographic groups.
- Prepares Annual Report and other special reports as prescribed by the Board of Directors.
- Performs related work as required.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in Administration, History, Museum Studies, Humanities or a related field, and a minimum of three years of progressive, professional experience in a museum or nonprofit entity, including at least two years in a management capacity.
- Thorough knowledge of Bainbridge Island history*
- Museum management theory*
- Fundraising principles and techniques
- Public relations
- Exhibition design and installation*
- Conservation and preservation*
- Museum publications research, design and layout*
- Modern management principles and techniques
- Understanding of applicability and usage of social media
* indicates that knowledge can be acquired while serving as executive director
- Effectively lead and manage the Bainbridge Island Historical Museum
- Cultivate donations for archival collections
- Utilize sound, independent judgment
- Prepare and present clear and comprehensive written reports
- Demonstrate creative leadership skills dealing with Museum support groups
- Effectively supervise and develop museum personnel
- Regularly attend evening and weekend meetings and/or engagements
- Establish and maintain good internal and external working relationships
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Deal effectively and courteously with a wide variety of individuals and groups, including the Museum Board of Directors, staff and volunteers, community leaders, and the general public
- Present an overall professional image
- Model and facilitate a working environment that encourages awareness and respect for differences among employees and citizens
- Perform effectively as a member of the team in carrying out the Museum’s stated mission and philosophy